Thursday, July 2, 2009

Taco Tuesday, A Peaceful Protest, A Slimey Heart & A Fatal Car Accident

Tuesday is Taco Tuesday at the Press-Register. There is a man that makes tacos who parks out front on Tuesday. This business is legitimate and so is the food. I think I had the best quesadilla of my life. The truck says "Smokin Gringos" in big letters on the side.

The people in the picture are fellow employees of the MPR, the man on the right is Bill Starling, a staff photographer.

Immediately following my muy bueno quesadilla, I drove a few miles away from the office to Memorial Park where we had heard of a protest taking place. It was a group of Iranian-Americans who were protesting the mistreatment of civilians in Iran. They were chanting things like "down with the dictatorship" etc. Overall it was a pro-American rally, made even more interesting by the fact that it was conducted by people who weren't originally born as Americans but are now citizens.


This first picture ran in the Metro section today. It was the first picture I took when I got there and I looked at it right away and knew I liked it. But I still shot others.



So ended my Tuesday.
Wednesday I had the windows in my car tinted but I didn't take any pictures. Crazy I know.
I went to the Gulf Coast Exploreum Science Center that morning. Those of you faithful blog followers may remember this place from when I was here with the Junior Misses a couple weeks back. I went there this Wednesday morning for a metro feature of some summer campers visiting for the day from "underprivileged" inner city schools. The kids engaged in some physical activities but my favorite part of the day was where they were encouraged to touch real hearts and lungs from animals. Some of the girls looked like they were about to lose their lunch.







Later on Wednesday we received word of a fatal accident on I-10 involving an explosion, two 18-wheelers and a passenger car. The accident happened around 2pm and we (the photographers) didn't get word about it until 4:15. Regardless of the communication mishaps, Glenn Andrews and I found out way through the traffic, got past the police barricades (with their permission thanks to some inside help) and were able to make some pictures at the scene. I believe at least one of my pictures is on the front page of Thursday's paper. I processed, toned and transmitted the images back to the paper while Glenn drove.







We made it back to Mobile in time for Pizza Buffet night at Godfather's, thus ending my Thursday. Click pictures to make them bigger.
All images are property of the Mobile Press-Register.

4 comments:

  1. I love taco tuesday. I wish a taco truck came to my house every night. Great pics of the demonstration. Why did that horrific crash happen? I could see the burnt trees in the back ground-wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I understand an 18-wheeler carrying something explosive came across the highway and hit another 18-wheeler hauling BMWs, those two wrapped up a smaller passenger vehicle (the one upsidedown on the side of the road). Everything burned bad enough that they had to resurface part of the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.... that crash is indeed intense....

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the sake of accuracy I'm coming back to this to correct my first comment. From what I can tell, two 18-wheelers collided but there wasn't another car involved, the car I thought was a separate car was evidently one from off the trailer that was hauling BMWs. The two 18-wheeler drivers were killed.

    ReplyDelete