Friday, May 29, 2009

Thursday - Classical Music and a Hot Meal

I returned to work Thursday after two days off. I went to an outdoor market festival looking for features. It was an opportunity to make pictures but I wasn't able to get in gear to do what I wanted to. Hard to explain but I felt a bit unattached, maybe because I had been lazy for two days. Either way, I didn't make any pictures I'm proud of but it was merely a feature hunt, not an assignment so no loss.
Back at the newsroom John David Mercer and I came up with some ideas of how to shoot Splenda packets for a story about Splenda closing its doors after ten years. Neither of us had very much time to spend on this so we set up some lights and made this picture.


Afterwards I went to a classic music concert and made this picture:

It ran front of Metro today (Friday).

Then on the way back to the newsroom I saw a crowd of people gathering in a nearby park. I stopped to check it out and saw that it was a group of 50 or so homeless people. An independent group of Christian youth gives food and clothing to anybody who wants them every Thursday. I had to get back to the newsroom to get the concert image in on deadline but afterwards I went back to the park and made this picture:

It was very dark, I'd like to go back and see about making some more pictures next week. The cutline I am putting in for that picture reads:
Robert Barlow of Mobile accepts a free meal in Cathedral Park late Thursday night, May 28, 2009. A hot meal and clothing are available in Cathedral Park every Thursday night through a community outreach program put on by an independent group of Christian youth. "I've been on top, now I'm on the bottom," said Barlow. "I'll be on top again, it always gets better."

1 comment:

  1. Very good cutline, awesome quote from that guy!

    ReplyDelete