Friday, June 26, 2009

'Gators and Girls

I mentioned in my blog post on Monday that there was more I had done that day besides covering the Junior Misses eating oysters. Later that day I had an assignment at a play theatre in Fairhope. I left early for the assignment and dropped by a causeway off I-10 that I had been told was frequented by alligators. Sure enough, within 5 minutes I found this creature:





I shot the gator with flash after my little lesson from JD Mercer and Bill Starling, but it was bright enough outside that I'm not sure it made much difference. I think it did bring out the eyes of the gator a little bit and maybe its skin. Regardless, I was trying to put into action what I had learned that day.

I got another opportunity to use flash at the assignment at the theatre. It is for the Arts section and it showcases an upcoming play. I took some photos during dress rehearsal and then I had all the cast and crew get together on the set for a portrait. I used flash for the portrait, manually setting the flash power based on the distance scale, like JD showed me.







I feel like I am beginning to get a handle on this lighting stuff, maybe. But I need a ton more experience with it.

I had Tuesday and Wednesday off. I was lazy and did nothing for the most part.

Thursday I was back on Junior Miss duty. They had their preliminary show at the Civic Center. Me and JD shot it together then came back to the newsroom in a rush to get the images in on deadline. JD went through my take and gave me some critique. I am anxious to improve tomorrow.











Yes mother, I know what time it is. I know I should be in bed.

3 comments:

  1. It was just dress rehearsal. Around 8pm I think. Opening performances are next week I believe.

    ReplyDelete